Food @ Batamview Hotel

The kiasu in me made sure the Batam trip was all meals inclusive as I've heard of people paying through their noses for the food. It is partially true when the Sing dollar is a largely transacted currency, more so than rupiah. The pricing of the food in hotels is almost on par with the restaurants here..think $20 for a mixed grill set, $28 for dry kueh lapis..Batam's one of those places eating out is not a cheaper alternative.



The best discovery ever! Snaked skin fruit I call it, peel off the prickly skin (I got my thumb pierced) to reveal a crunchy fruit. Very acquired taste and smell indeed but I loved it.

Seafood Dinner @ Kelong Restaurant



Tom Yum Kha, not quite similar to any tomyum soup I've consumed before...the spice level was too acute, not quite the sour-spicy delicacy I adore. Otherwise, the fish slices within were fresh.



Black Pepper Stone Crab

A huge meaty crab was served with finger licking good black pepper sauce..where's the fried mantous when I need them most?



Mixed Vegetables

The veggie lover in me says yum. Leafy kai lans that are larger than those eaten in SG.



Sweet and Sour Fish

Mmm, a nice balance of sweet and sour, the fish fillets were too soft though.



Butter Prawn

Not the freshest of prawns but thankfully not overladen with bicarbonate.



Stir Fried Beef on Hot plate

It's delicious but for $16 in Batam, it's definitely not worth the price.



Deep Fried Cuttlefish

No comments on this but the companions polished it off.

Lunch Buffet at Wangi Melati

Indonesian spread



Stir fried kai lan



Indonesian delight, kueh lapis



Strawberry Jellies



Salads

Celery Soup with Bread

Thin soup that warmed the tummy more than appealed with taste. The bread rolls seemingly left overnight.

Assorted Keropok

I was most happy to find this at the dining table, complete with 4 types of chilli paste/sauces. Crunchy snacks these are! I'd have siphoned one off gladly.

Beef Ball Soup Noodle

The only live station BUT it's a case of horror of horrors. The noodles were soggy, beef ball was bland and not palatable at all.





Curries

Flowercrab Curry

A beeline was formed everytime it was refilled which I could not fatham. The flowercrabs are arguably the prettiest crabs around but they are not as meaty nor substantially sized for easy extraction of meat. I gave up after risking de-skinning my fingers with the sharp edges.

Beef Rendang
Lamb Curry

I enjoyed both, thickly cut meats brought out the carnivore in me. The meat was slightly tough but the scrumptious curry more than made up for it.

Assam Fish Curry

Another hit with the diners, mostly Singaporeans. This tasty dish was well executed with fresh fish and spices.

Stir Fried Kai Lan

Delicious.

Fried Chicken Wings

Lemon grass was added to this so I guess that made it more tasty. Liked it somehow.

Prawn Curry





Desserts

Kueh Lapis

I was disappointed to find it dry and hard.

Sweet Potato Kueh
Strawberry Jelly
Longan in Syrup
Fruits

Of the lot, my favourite had to be the animal shaped strawberry jelly! There were strawberry bits in the wobbly jelly with a slight flavouring too. I guess I derived the most pleasure from the simplest desserts.

Buffet Breakfast at Wangi Melati




Confectionary;
Steamed bread
Pandan Bread
White bread
Danishes (Raisin with custard)
Kaya Steamed Pau
Waffles (Peanut Butter, Preserves, Spicy Kimchi, Butter)

The baked goods section never fails to bring a smile, especially when you're in foreign land and you're not quite up for the breakfast challenges apart from the familiar bread/porridge. I tucked greedily into the spread, loved it tremendously though you can't quite falter with bread...right? The waffles were fluffy (surprisingly better than A&W's), the pau was overflowing with homemade kaya, steamed bread's quite a first too, but tasted just like our "local bakery" bread.

Scrambled Egg
Sausages
Fried Eggs
Half Boiled eggs

What's a continental breakfast without the bangers and mash?



Nasi Lemak with egg, ikan bilis, chilli paste

Their signature which was good enough. Chilli paste was still as outstanding. In true Singaporean style, the Singaporeans polished off all the chilli paste.

Congee with condiments

Gave this a miss but spied kimchi as part of the congee.



Sweet green bean porridge

My first attempt but this is a heavy coconut dessert but great for the morning! The soft green beans and sweet coconut milk, sedap sedap!

Fruits
Cereal with milk

Comments