Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling @ Amoy Street Hawker

The curious case of rice dumplings (like barbequed pork) for most Singaporeans and my family is not just a seasonal item. We eat it all year round, as and when and regardless of price hike.

Hoo Kee is raving mad popular and the "sold out" sign is almost a sure thing by 1pm, I left Amoy feeling utmost disappointed at least three times. The heart did a tumble when I was there at 1230pm and the famous sign was not up yet, I approached the store with such stealth..I must've resembled a theif.

"After 1pm" was the deadpanned reply. Kiasu-ism in full force, I reserved my dumplings.



Three flavours up for grabs:

Chestnut ($2)
Salted Egg, Meat, Chestnut ($2.80)
Mushroom, Chestnut ($2.60) (this was completely sold out)



By the time I returned to claim my dumplings, they were well, fully reserved. Time is an essence buying these Hoo Kee dumplings! Truth be told, these smell awfully fragrant (sans the pun!). So fragrant, I had to double wrap them in plastic bags to mask the fragrance at work.

The ingredients are to the brim, literally. Full of chestnuts, meat and boy oh boy, the luxurious round of salted egg, the wholeness of it. Rich and screeching health alert signs. I relished every bite of this well flavoured rice dumpling. The meat is quite different from Kim Choo's, no fats and I'm sold. Between the Chestnut and Salted Egg, the vote towards the Salted Egg for the full works.

Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling
Amoy Street Food Centre #01-18
62211155

Comments

  1. sounds really delicious! i found kim choo's nonya dumplings too dry. out of the two filling you had, which was better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops i just re-read your post. haha salted egg yolks are sinfully delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi stargirl! i preferred the one with everything, salted egg, mushrooms, chestnuts and meat! the chestnut one was slightly sweet. yep! love the salted egg yolks!~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried the salted egg version and it was indeed the best rice dumpling i've ever had! best of all, the rice wasn't at all greasy and the meat filling was lean. lol i was so eager to try them out, i practically sprinted along mccallum street to amoy st food centre to collect my order cos i was late...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi there! *smiles* glad you liked the salted egg dumpling too... yah, I was literally running to pick up my order too, just in case they sold mine off!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment