Wasabi Tei @ Far East Plaza



I almost forgot about Wasabi Tei and how much I wished and hoped to patronize previously. By a twist of food fate and luck, there was not much of a queue on a Friday night! Gone were the snaking queues, at least 30 minute wait time and grouchy Japanese chef nor wife around. Either they changed hands or they expanded operations to include additional help, there was a serious looking man busying in the kitchen, another who slices the raw fish and two others cleaning tables and taking orders.

It seems the only things constant are the mandatory $2 surcharge on appetizer and drinks as well as the 20% surcharge for subsequent orders.



Spy the chef...



Choice of beverage: Mineral water, green tea or soft drink.



Seaweed appetizer with pork

The kind you'd eat with teochew porridge, liked the braised pork and slightly sweet flavours.



Salmon Sashimi ($9)

The thickest slices ever experienced. Its freshness is what I adore..so good you can eat it without wasabi. The wasabi used is softer than usual.



Chawanmushi ($5)

The coarse surface made it seem like hurried slipshod effort of the chef, thankfully it was the smooth egg custard I'm familiar with. For 5 dollars, I expected more than just chockfuls of mushrooms.



Oyako Jyu Set ($8)
Chicken with Egg Rice

Tender chicken bites in egg and sweet onions, I liked it enough!



Sushi and Udon Teishoku ($15)

Softer than the usual bouncy oodles I'm used to. The cute fishcake was all I was concerned with.



I suppose I was in luck that day, nabbing the last set available. Beautiful display of neatly pressed sushi. The soft rice did not taste like the round distinct pearls of Japanese origin. Well the point is, the raw fish was fresh and that was suffice.



Complimentary fruit to round off the meal.

Hygiene somehow does not seem to be priority at Wasabi Tei despite the "A" rating given by the Health Authorities. The same guy who handles the raw fish does some cleaning up as well.

Reviewers who have been patronizing Wasabi Tei previously have pointed to the change in management hence the lack of queues at the door and somewhat friendlier atmosphere I experienced. Some have also criticised the lapse in service, at least when I was there it was rather prompt..from drinks to appetizers to dessert.

Personally for a first attempt at Wasabi Tei, I felt there is great value in the food especially in generosity of portions, would not mind returning solely for the value!

Wasabi Tei
#05-70
Far East Plaza

Comments

  1. Were there only mushrooms in the chawanmushi? cos I remembered others blogging about its generous use of prawn and chicken chunks..

    The salmon looks good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyhey...at least in my chawanmushi there were only mushrooms! yepyep! THICK slices of salmon...very value for money imo~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment