Teppei Japanese Restaurant @ Orchid Hotel

Teppei has been around for so long that waiting time for this cosy little outlet has morphed into an at least 3 month wait for weekdays and 4 for weekends. Now as I type, dates are until 2014. I jokingly mused with a friend that this was better than waiting 3 hours in winter for sushi in Tsukiji market and then she countered with - but this is in months. The only time I ever had to place a reservation months ahead was for a michelin starred meal - and then comes Teppei to overturn this norm of things.

By a sheer stoke of luck, a friend had seats to give up and viola, I managed to nab a seat! They have since done away with their $40 omakase sets, starting from $50, $60, $80 and $100. The top two premium omakase meals need to be ordered in advance. Maybe not so cheap anymore but definitely still cheaper than the other brandnames in the industry.

The 20 seater restaurant does 2 seatings for dinner and perhaps lunch too - it is definitely easier to get a seat at the latter. I was surprised to find a  handful of diners actually heading for ala carte options when seats are so hard to get; reckon that is the privilege of regulars!

busy

Even with reservations fully booked 4 months ahead, there were still customers trying their luck.

crowd

Kitchen staff making merry at the sink. I appreciate open concept kitchens like these - at least I get to see what goes behind the preparation of food albeit knowing more isn't exactly the best thing. 

counter

The rest of the fully packed restaurant. 

rice notice

Finding pride in their source of rice.

My first omakase experience without knowing what to expect, hence names of dishes are completely based on what I tasted.

chopsticks

Handmade chopstick holder for each diner. 

salad

Salad with Japanese dressing

I like japanese dressing on anything - not as sinful as the full cream ones and still appetizing.

tofu skin

Homemade beancurd skin and uni

It is a pity that uni got lost in all the happenings of a humble beancurd skin dish.

sardine fishcake

Sardine Fishcake

Nothing to shout about, if they did not mention sardine I would have waved it off as normal fish cake.

Radish

Simmered in a tasty broth, I must have belittled these cubes at first. Robust flavours in each of these cubes.

edamame

Edamame

Sprinkled with salt, these green pods are perfect with beer.

chawanmushi

Chawanmushi

Smooth wobbly curd. 

sashimi

Sashimi

The slice of the day's freshest catch served with freshly grated wasabi and soya. The only other oiishii moment elicited was in Japan with seafood so fresh that I wish I were staying there for good. Tuna belly made this meal more than worth it even it were just a slice, well marbling and melt in my mouth, blissed out on this.

wrap

Tuna Handroll

roll

Watching Chef Teppei prepare this was a swifty experience, his fingers took on a different language altogether communicating with the ingredients. A dab of this and a pinch of that, soon I was passed a plate with a stack of handrolls to take from. I love the addition of crunchy fried tempura bits that made this extra crunchy.

oyster

Oyster with Miso chilli

Slurp the aphrodisiac like a pro when the shell was really ornamental. The miso chilli dab kicked in much later but the main focus was the fresh as can be oyster!

egg plant

Eggplant Tempura

Served with a dollop of bean paste, the crisp tempura and radish grated soup were delicious but the addition of colourful bits made it entirely ornamental.

fish

Tempura Fish

I have been gunning for the largest tempura prawn ever eaten only to be disappointed with the fish fillet instead. 

cheese

Cheese with salted egg yolk, pitan and sesame

 The cheese cube overpowered the other flavours which was a great pity, I suppose tofu would have been a better substitute.

sentosa

Shellfish

In the cracked shell figments and a twinkle of an eye, the chef whispered "Fresh from Sentosa", it got me awhile before I caught the joke. Shellfish indeed! To think I thought it were fish eyeball. Not as chewy as the clams or arc shells, tasted quite like beancurd skin actually.

dumpling

Dumpling Soup

For a moment, I was lost in the cuisine I was experiencing, chinese or japanese. Nothing to shout about.

saba fish

Saba Fish and Tofu

From afar, I mistook this for braised pork belly. Usually not a fish person, I relished the fish, collagen loaded skin and semi sweet broth with much gusto!

wagyu

Wagyu Beef

The main highlight of the meal and differentiating item between the $50 and $60 set. Apart from the generous usage of uni, this made the meal more worth it than ever. Sinewy marbled cuts that could be more tender but I can hardly ask for anything better with this price tag.

chef

Chef giving full concentration even with simple stringing of radish on skewer sticks. 

smoked pickle

Smoked radish lollipop

Well, this was served pierced on a satay skewer - impressive? Hardly apart from the distinct smokeyness.

prepping

Chef Teppei is hard at work. 

sashimi trio

The benefits of sitting infront of the chef!

sashimi rice

Salmon Rice

Served in a trio, a perfect choice for someone like me who loves variety. Uni rice served on a tablespoon enabled the full bodied creaminess of the uni to be displayed but the morsel of rice has to be the tiniest I've ever seen under the blanket of uni. Yes, uni is cheap like that at Teppei's. 

A repeat of tuna handroll without the seaweed, by this time I thought it was an overkill.

scallops

I could have mistaken this for scallops but this bouncily crunchy and fresh number was delightful.

fried rice

There were other options of udon and spicy fried rice served with a sunny side egg - opt for this only if you have a humongous appetite. The ladies and some men surrender to this portion. Not huge but the build up of morsels from the start of the meal was enough to fill us up considerably. I am surprised this kicked enough ass to make me wave off another bite.

icecream

Choice of icecream

Green Tea

A mild bitter powdery aftertaste was quite pleasant.

Sesame

I wish this were richer.

Calpis

Coloured too white, the flavour was quite spot on in terms of similarities to the drink. 

Yuzu

Laced with a tinge of bitterness, this was probably the main reason why I did not fancy it.

I was spilling over kind of full, not bursting nearly. Waddling out like a stuffed turkey to be greeted but another group waiting for the second seating. The good thing is, Chef Teppei tweaks the menu every now and then to avoid monotony. Good not great, neither does it nudge me to quickly book another appointment though the over zealous group next to us scheduled lunch the next day and dinner the following week.

Here's a chef with plenty of ambition - a 10 year plan in mind for his business. Honest and humble Fukuoka cuisine at really affordable prices, just lacking in a wee bit of finesse to up the experience by notches.

Teppei Japanese Restaurant
Orchid Hotel

Comments

Post a Comment