Ginza Tendon Itsuki @ Tanjong Pagar

DSC_2227

Tempura, it seems is making the office crowd go crazy with the queues. And the only other place that has made me give up precious lunch time to queue is Hanare. Ginza Tendon Itsuki has been causing neverending queues outside its door since their opening late July.

DSC_2229

30 minutes in line was considered acceptable on a work day and it moved relatively quickly. Infact, our orders were taken when queueing and upon taking our seats, they were served shortly after.

DSC_2226

The constantly filled restaurant definitely piqued the curiosity.

DSC_2211

The spick and span restaurant had a corner so beautifully put together, I have a penchant for plates with  Japanese designs so intricately drawn!

DSC_2207

Table condiments.

DSC_2209

Chawanmushi with a sprinkling of seaweed makes it to my table in 5 minutes flat, so smooth and wobbly and I savoured every bite of it.

DSC_2210

Pickled vegetables to tickle the tastebuds, available freeflow too. 

DSC_2212

Counter seats gave me the best view in the house and full view of how each bowl of tempura don was prepared. Things were done pretty much in factory worker style, each chef had a role to play before a bowl was finally presented.

DSC_2206

My favourite had to be watching the chef place the freshly fried tempura pieces gingerly in the bowl and drizzling it with the sauce.

DSC_2214

8 pieces of tempura pieces comprising of chicken tenders, prawns, poached egg, pumpkin, long beans and mushroom. Most of this was bland though.

DSC_2224

The poached egg was definitely the highlight with such a delicate crispy layer coating and a mere jab reveals the most gorgeous shade of yellow - my idea of the perfect way to eat eggs in 2015.

DSC_2225

Portions were definitely very generous and it took me longer than expected to finish eating through the pile and by the time I reached the end, the inevitable soggyness had already set in. The meats were not marinated which probably left the sauce and seasoning jars on the table for more flavour.


DSC_2228


For $13.90, I get a chawanmushi appetizer, my bowl of tempura don and a glass of warm water. Incredible deal I say for the price paid though not exactly gourmet.

Ginza Tendon Itsuki
Tanjong Pagar Road

Comments