The Skewer Bar @ Lorong 27, Geylang

DSC_4368

I love yakitori as much as I love satays, well...food on a stick just makes the whole experience better. Here comes The Skewer Bar that injects a breath of fresh air to a district that's been popularized by history, hokkien mee and late night suppers. (If I can even try to put to words why Geylang is charming, at all.)


DSC_4369

Nested within a coffeeshop, this is the only reason why I'd even pay the coffeeshop a second look.

DSC_4371

Swanky cafe by the side. Word has it that crowds start filling and supper is chaos - so is parking. You've been warned.

DSC_4373

Signatures.

DSC_4374

Dining by the curb side has not gotten more happening, and with our killer weather? I say pick a table furthest from the stove even to try keeping cool - which begs the question why would I even eat grilled food at a sweltering 30 degrees on an evening?

Anyhow, if you're lucky...beg for one of their air conditioned tables inside their bar and well, good luck.

DSC_4376

Watching the sky canvas whilst waiting for dinner is....therapeutic somewhat.

DSC_4386

Chicken Mid Joint ($1.40)
Broccoli ($1.40)


DSC_4387

Wilted greens which I enjoyed! Must be all the burnt vegetables in salads that converted me.

DSC_4391

Chicken and Pork Meatballs ($2.60)

I've been pampered too much with tsukune and looked forward to the cartilage bits embedded within and this was really just meatballs with sweet sauce. 

DSC_4389

Japanese Squid ($6.50)

A squid is a squid, is a squid regardless country of origin and the item that worked most for me turned out to be the chilli sauce that got us dunking nearly everything in.

DSC_4393

Sweet Corn ($1.30)

These are grilled on the cob so they made things easier for us by deconstructing the corn into easier to nibble portions.

DSC_4394

Shitake Mushroom ($1.40)
Cuttlefish Balls ($1.30)
Chicken Heart ($1.40)


DSC_4398

Taupok Special ($5.50)

"Must Try" it seems and it was really just grilled tau pok stuffed with minced meat, vegetables and cheese. I liked the concept yet execution was on the meh-dinary side.

DSC_4401

Whole Eggplant ($5)

So redmart spoiled me with $1.20 whole eggplants, raw. And for the remaining $3.80, I get a generous lather of chilli paste (don't bother, the grilled squid's chilli is da bomb). Value? Average.

Prices listed are per stick so these are really no different from Tori-Q prices, except it is in a more dubious location and deemed as refreshing.

I enjoyed my visit sans the heat but it definitely takes more than just price, queues and hype to lure me back.

The Skewer Bar
10 Lorong 27 Geylang

Comments